1. Aims and Scope: The "Iranian Journal of Dermatology" is the official scientific quarterly publication of the Iranian Society of Dermatology.
2. This Journal accepts Original Papers, Review Articles, Case Reports, Quiz, Short Communications and Letters to the Editor in the fields of clinical dermatology, dermato-pathology, dermatologic surgery and basic sciences related to dermatology.
3. Submission: Manuscript submission to the Iranian Journal of Dermatology is only possible through the Journal's URL: http://www.iranjd.ir. Manuscript must be accompanied by a covering letter to the Editor-in-Chief, including title and author(s) name and undertaking that it has not been published or submitted elsewhere. In case the manuscript was earlier submitted to some other journals and was rejected, the authors must provide full information for proper analysis. Manuscript should be typed as a Microsoft Word document in double space on the A-4 size page set up with clear margins on both sides. Tables as well as illustrations should be typed and drawn at the end of the manuscript after the references. Do not submit tables as photographs. All text documents should be uploaded in Microsoft Word format as an attachment. The figures should be sent in a format of JPEG or GIF which will produce high quality images in the online edition of the journal.
4. The manuscript should include: Title page; Abstract; Introduction; Materials & Methods; Results; Discussion; Acknowledgement and References.
5. The title page: The complete title of the manuscript, the name of all the authors with their highest qualifications, the department or institution to which they are attached, address for correspondence with telephone numbers, e-mail, and fax number.
6. The Abstract: All original articles must accompany a structured abstract up to 250 words. It should be structured as Background, Methods, Results and Conclusion followed by 3 to 5 Keywords. Keywords will assist indexers in cross indexing the article as they are published with abstract. Use terms from the Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) list of Index Medicus (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/mesh/MBrowser.html). Authors need to be careful that the abstract reflects the content of the article accurately.
7. Introduction: This should summarize the purpose and the rationale for the study. It should neither review the subject extensively nor should it have data or conclusions of the study.
8. Materials & Methods: This should include exact method or observation or experiment. If an apparatus is used, its manufacturer’s name and address should be given in parenthesis. If the method is established, give reference but if the method is new, give enough information so that another author is able to perform it. If a drug is used, its generic name, dose and route of administration must be given. For patients, age, sex with mean age ± standard deviation must be given. Statistical method must be mentioned and specify any general computer programme used. The Info system used should be clearly mentioned.
9. Results: It must be presented in the form of text, tables and illustrations. The contents of the tables should not be all repeated in the text. Instead, a reference to the table number may be given. Long articles may need sub-headings within some sections (especially the Results and Discussion parts) to clarify their contents.
10. Discussion: This should emphasize the present findings and the variations or similarities with other work done in the field by other workers. The detailed data should not be repeated in the discussion again. Emphasize the new and important aspects of the study and the conclusions that follow from them. It must be mentioned whether the hypothesis mentioned in the article is true, false or no conclusions can be derived.
11. Acknowledgement: All contributors who do not meet the criteria for authorship should be covered in the acknowledgement section. It should include persons who provided technical help, writing assistance and departmental head who only provided general support. Financial and material support should also be acknowledged.
12.Tables: In limited numbers should be submitted with the captions placed above. Do not submit tables as photograph. Place explanatory matters in footnotes, not in the heading.
13. Figures: Should be in limited numbers, with high quality art work and mounted on separate pages. The captions should be placed below. The same data should not be presented in tables, figures and text, simultaneously.
14. References: All manuscripts should be accompanied by relevant references. The author should ensure reference to locally published studies by doing proper literature search. It may not be possible for the editor and reviewers to check the accuracy of all reference citations. To minimize such errors author should verify references against the original documents. The Reference should provide the following information as stated in the presented models as follows:
- Article: Tallab TM, Bahamdam KA, Mirdad S, et al. Cutaneous leishmaniasis: Schedules for intralesional treatment with sodium stibogluconate. Int J Dermatol 1996;35:594-7.
- Chapter: Bigby M. The hierarchy of evidence. In: Williams HC, Bigby M, Diepgen T, et al (Eds). Evidence-based dermatology. Oxford: BMJ Publishing Group; 2003. 44-8.
- Book: Norman IJ, Redfern SJ (Eds). Mental health care for elderly people. New York: Churchill Livingstone;1996.
15. Abbreviations and symbols: Use only standard abbreviations. Avoid using them in the title and abstract. The full term for which an abbreviation stands should precede its first use in the text unless it is a standard unit of measurement.
16. The corresponding author: Will be supplied with 3 free printed issues.
17. Ethical guidelines: Ethical considerations must be addressed in the Materials and Methods section. 1) Please state that informed consent was obtained from all human adult participants and from the parents or legal guardians of minors. Include the name of the appropriate institutional review board that approved the project. 2) Indicate in the text that the maintenance and care of experimental animals complies with National Institutes of Health guidelines for the humane use of laboratory animals, or those of your Institute or agency.
18. Conflicts of interest: Authors must acknowledge and declare any sources of funding and potential conflicting interest, such as receiving funds or fees by, or holding stocks and shares in, an organization that may profit or lose through publication of your paper. Declaring a competing interest will not lead to automatic rejection of the paper, but we would like to be made aware of it.
19. Page charges: There are no charges for publication in this Journal.
20. Copyright: The entire contents of the Iranian Journal of Dermatology are protected under international copyrights. This Journal is for your personal noncommercial use. You may not modify copy, distribute, transmit, display, or publish any materials contained on the Journal without the prior written permission of it or the appropriate copyright owner.
21. Peer review process: All manuscripts are considered to be confidential. They are peer-reviewed by at least 2 anonymous reviewers selected by the Editorial Board. The corresponding author is notified as soon as possible of the editor decision to accept, reject, or require modifications. If the manuscript is completely acceptable according to the criteria set forth in these instructions, it is scheduled for the next available issue.
22. Disposal of material: Once published, all copies of the manuscript, correspondence and artwork will be held for 6 months before disposal.
The Final Checklist
- The authors must ensure that before submitting the manuscript for publication, they have taken care of the following: Title page should contain title, name of the author/co-authors, their qualifications, designation & institutions they are affiliated with and mailing address for future correspondence, e-mail address, and phone and fax number.
- Abstract in structured format up to 250 words.
- References mentioned as stated in the Instruction to Authors section.
- Make sure for headings of tables, their numbers and captions of illustrations. Don’t repeat the information in tables if it is covered in the text.
- Photographs / illustrations along with their captions.
- Letter of Undertaking signed by all the authors.
- Disclosure regarding source of funding and conflict of interest if any besides approval of the study from respective Ethics Committee/Institution Review Board.
- Covering Letter
- Main Manuscript document
- Please prepare your manuscripts according to journal templates: Template ijd Quiz, Template ijd Case report, Template ijd Original Article